Thursday, June 30, 2011

Felt Flowers

When blog hopping one day, I found this really cute tutorial for Felt Dahlia Flower Brooch. I wear a flower in my hair every day and was looking to expand my collection (currently I have headbands I made by hot gluing cute flowers I got at Michael’s). I also wanted options other than headbands for the days I wear my hair in a ponytail or bun. I’ve made 5 so far (no they are no addictive at all) 4 for Monkey and I to share and a yellow one for Monkey’s teacher as a thank you present.


They are quick and easy to do. It takes me just under an hour to make one. I did cheat and use a hot glue gun (I’m impatient). The other thing I changed was I cut a fringe strip for the centre of the flowers as opposed to using pinking shears.

They’ve become a big hit at work; everyone wants me to make them one. Instead I’ve been directing them to the tutorial and empowering them to create one on their own. It really isn’t a complicated craft or very time consuming. If I can manage it with 3 kids under foot so can they.

Besides I want them to experience the pride when someone asks them where they got it and they can answer they made it. I also want them to realize that they too are crafty and creative. And then get hooked on those feelings and keep creating. Why should I steal all that glory?
.


And here is Monkey modeling her flower.

No comments: